Top 3 things you need to know about window blinds
Blinds are coverings for windows that differ from shades and curtains through their multi-layered structure.
It is a very common sight to cover one’s windows, and it is mainly done for two common reasons – to ensure one’s privacy, and to control the intensity of natural elements entering through the window. Ideally, window blinds are made to measure; however, the standardisations of certain window sizes have made blind manufacturers produce standard sized blinds that can be adjusted to a degree. Blinds are easily available in any home needs store, and also can be ordered online. Buying blinds online has become very commonplace today, considering the conveniences of online shopping.
What are the types of window blinds?
Blinds are made up of long horizontal or vertical columns known as slats. Depending on the positioning of these slats, window blinds vary. While buying blinds online, one can see several types and models of blinds, which can be classified into six main types
- Roller blinds: These consists of a single piece of jointed slats, that can be rolled up and down.
- Roman blinds: They are roller blinds with multiple segmentation, it can be crimped to the desired level.
- Pleated blinds: They consist of interwoven slats, stacking of which the length of the blinds can be adjusted.
- Venetian blinds: They are the most common type of blinds, having their roots in France. They have horizontal slats stacked one above the other, and are connected by a vertical string or a wire, and can be adjusted by pulling the strings. This is one of the highest selling blinds online.
- Japanese Shoji blinds: These blinds are connected to a single track, to which they slide to open and close. They are mostly used as dividers.
- Vertical blinds: In the most popular blinds of the 90’s, the slats are wider and placed vertically, and are connected to tracks that lie above and below the blinds. This type enables adjustment of the width of the blinds to suit the windows.
What are blinds made up of?
Window blinds are made up of a variety of materials, depending on their pricing. Aluminium, polyester or PVC is the material of choice in cheaper blinds, as they have a good durability. Plastic, fibre, wood, pinoleum, fabric, etc. are also used to make blinds. Weather proofing is a feature that is seen in costlier blinds, where constant exposure to the natural elements does not affect the wear and tear of the blinds.
What to look for while buying blinds online?
Any online company has to be reputed, and have a transparent payment facility. Even though the transactions happen online, it is better to mention over phone and document via email the exact specifications of what are needed in the blinds. It always pays to be safe than sorry.